Season Dates and Times
To check the open season and fishing times for a specific water:
Key season dates for 2020–21
|Saturday 1/8/20||Opening of most waters|
|Saturday 3/10/20||Opening of designated rainbow trout waters|
|Sunday 18/10/20||Gone Fishing Day|
|Saturday 28/11/20||Opening of Canal Bay, yingina/Great Lake|
|Sunday 28/3/21||Closure of Canal Bay, yingina/Great Lake|
|Sunday 2/5/21||Closure of most waters|
|Sat 15 and Sun 16/5/21||Trout Weekend, Liawenee|
|Sunday 30/5/21||Closure of designated rainbow trout waters, lakes Mackintosh and Rosebery and the lower section of Brumbys Creek, Macquarie, Meander and South Esk rivers|
Different open seasons and fishing times apply to different waters around the state. This aims to provide the best angling opportunities and ensure sustainability.
Most waters are either
- brown trout waters - open from the first Saturday of August to the Sunday nearest the 30 April; or
- rainbow trout waters - open from the Saturday nearest to 1 October to the Sunday nearest 31 May.
The fishing times at some waters are restricted to one hour before sunrise to three hours after sunset.
All year round fishing
The following waters are open all year:
- Brushy Lagoon
- Craigbourne Dam
- yingina/Great Lake (other than Canal Bay)
- Huon River downstream from the Huonville Bridge
- Lake Barrington
- Lake Burbury
- Lake King William
- Huntsman Lake
- Meadowbank Lake
- Lake Pedder
- Pioneer Lake
- River Leven downstream from Whisky Creek
- kanamaluka/River Tamar, downstream from the Lower Charles St Bridge on the North Esk River and West Tamar Road Bridge on the South Esk River
- River Derwent downstream from the New Norfolk Bridge
Waters closed to fishing at all times include:
- All waters flowing into Lake Crescent excluding that section of the canal connecting lakes Crescent and Sorell below Interlaken Road (C527).
- Dogs Head Creek, Silver Plains Creek and Mountain Creek flowing into Lake Sorell and for a radius of 50 m below where that water flows into Lake Sorell.
- Curries River Reservoir, within a 400 m radius of the dam intake structure.
- Lake Fenton and its tributaries.
- Waters flowing into yingina/Great Lake, Lake Leake, Arthurs Lake and Dee Lagoon.
- Waters within a radius of 50 m below where that water flows into yingina/Great Lake, Lake Leake, Arthurs Lake and Dee Lagoon.
- Penstock Lagoon Numbers 1 and 2 canals above two white posts on opposite banks of those canals.
- Brushy Rivulet, flowing into Brushy Lagoon.
- All waters flowing into Talbots Lagoon.
- McPartlans Canal between lakes Pedder and Gordon.
- Craigbourne Dam, from the dam wall and associated infrastructure.
- All ponds, raceways and fish culture ponds maintained by, or operated under, the consent of the IFS (the exception being the Plenty River adjacent to the Salmon Ponds that is reserved for anglers with a disability).
- Within 100 m of a fish trap maintained by the IFS.
Lake Sorell is closed from 26 October 2020 until further notice due to the Carp Management Program.
Lake Mikany is closed for maintenance until further notice by TasWater.
Indigenous Fish Waters
Certain waters are also designated as indigenous fish waters, which is mainly made up of the lower reaches of rivers and selected coastal lagoons. These are designed for people to fish for bream. No licence is required to fish in these waters, however if an unlicensed angler catches a trout or the angling season is closed at that time then the trout must be returned to the water unharmed.