You can help prevent the spread of exotic fish and plants by taking precautions when angling and adhering to the following guidelines for aquarium pets.
Remember we are all custodians of our environment – don't destroy the ecological integrity of our waterways through irresponsible and damaging activities.
- Clean your fishing equipment, including boat and trailer, between waters and fishing trips.
- Report any suspicious or illegal activities to the IFS on 1300INFISH or to BUSHWATCH on 1800 005 555.
- Declare any used fishing equipment when arriving from overseas.
- Clean and Dry your fishing equipment before coming to Tasmania.
Importing Aquatic Fish and Plants
- Do not bring fish or aquatic plants into Tasmania from interstate or overseas without written authority from the IFS.
- Bait fishing is prohibited in certain waters which are outlined in the Fishing Code.
- Do not bring live bait into Tasmania.
- Do not stock or transfer any fish species (including trout, native fish, redfin, yabbies etc.) into any waters (farm dams, creeks, rivers, lakes) without the written authority of the IFS.
Aquaria and Ponds
- Aquarium fish may only be bought from registered aquarium dealers in Tasmania.
- Design your outdoor garden pond/water feature so as to not inadvertently release fish and aquatic plants into our natural waterways.
- Do not keep prohibited coldwater fish. (The Service can advise you on species which are permitted in Tasmania).
- Do not release the contents of aquariums, garden ponds/water features (ie. fish, plants and water) into lakes, rivers, farm dams, drains or down the toilet.
- Contact the IFS for correct and responsible disposal of unwanted fish, aquatic animals and plants.